According to a new survey by Timetric’s Construction Intelligence Center (CIC), momentum is growing behind the implementation of Building Information Modeling (BIM) across the construction industry, with the highest percentage of respondents claiming that it will be the future of the industry.
According to the survey of over 100 participants in the global construction industry, including contractors, architects, surveyors and technology suppliers, BIM is currently being used, or piloted, by 49% of respondents, and is planned to be employed by a further 10% in the next 12 months. However, the implementation of BIM is still in a developmental phase, with 9% of respondents stating there is no demand, and an additional 16% saying the demand is limited. There is also a high degree of uncertainty over the implementation of BIM, with 27% of respondents claiming that the industry has still yet to get a clear idea of the technology and how to manage it.
In terms of usage, 82% of respondents claim that BIM is being employed on fewer than 25% of their projects; however, this is expected to reduce to 40% by 2020, leaving 60% of respondents expecting BIM to be used from 26% to 100% of projects. BIM Level 2, the industry standard is expected to be used by 27% in the next two years, with BIM Level 3 being used by 37% in the next three to five years, driven by an increase in competition or legislation.
According to Timetric’s survey, 50% of respondents believe cost savings and operational efficiency are the major drivers that influence an organization’s decision to implement BIM. Moreover, other major factors supporting BIM implementation include the view that it provides for comprehensive planning, costing and scheduling, and also improved visualization and design quality.
Neil Martin, manager at Timetric CIC comments: “Building Information Modeling will grow in usage as the client and those offering BIM services recognize its value. Cost savings and improving operational efficiency are important drivers for its uptake by practitioners and its perceived effect on return on investment; which is largely the reduced cycle time for project activities and delivery as well as lower project cost. Although cost savings targets are relatively low at less than 5%, these increase by those yet to adopt BIM providing an impetus for implementation.”