Axis Communications has released of its latest whitepaper, Smart Buildings & Smart Cities Security. Authored in association with Virtually Informed and Unified Security, the whitepaper is the third in a series looking at specific aspects of security and provides an in depth review of the topic, addresses key questions and, importantly, provides recommendations that must be considered if the smart promise is to become a reality.
Against the global backdrop of population growth, the strain on limited resources and climate change, there is a growing demand for businesses and governments around the world to deliver significant improvements in the way our cities and the buildings within them are managed. The promise of future cities and buildings built around a smart vision to reduce waste, drive efficiencies and optimise resources is a prodigious one with many inherent challenges, not least, security.
Axis’ Smart Buildings & Smart Cities Security whitepaper topics include:
- Smart cities and why we need them - Smart cities are increasingly playing a significant role in meeting today’s resource and population challenges
- Smart and intelligent technology - Smart devices, systems, buildings and cities defined – questions and issues around existing definitions are addressed
- Roles and responsibilities - Review stakeholder roles and security risk management to better understand the security issues associated with smart building systems
- Security challenges - Threat vectors are vast and varied with increasing levels of sophistication; understand the vulnerabilities, technologies and standards to be applied
- Recommendations – Getting started; security standards and frameworks; product strategy, system and solution security; supply and purchasing; and converged operations.
Steven Kenny, industry liaison, architecture and engineering at Axis Communications commented: “At Axis we are passionate about using technology to help create a smarter and safer world. We also believe that technology should be used in an ethical and responsible way. You might say that this whitepaper reflects the very values of our business in that, used responsibly and with security front and centre, smart technology will help us address the big challenges of our time. Increasing efficiencies is vital in meeting carbon reduction targets and avoiding climate catastrophe. The smart vision provides a strong basis for economic growth and improved quality of life. We greatly admire the work that Virtually Informed and Unified Security are doing to help ensure that the worlds of physical and cyber security are aligned and working together to achieve a common goal of increased safety and security for all.”
Axis’ Smart Buildings & Smart Cities Security whitepaper is available here.