The Wireless Broadband Alliance (WBA), the global organization that connects people with the latest Wi-Fi initiatives, has announced that its “Wi-Fi HaLow for IoT” program has moved into a new phase, showcasing 802.11ah Wi-Fi HaLow solutions in real-world use cases with contributing industry members. These include a range of applications including Smart Home, Smart City, Building Automation, Smart Retail, Industrial IoT, and Agriculture Technology. A new “Wi-Fi HaLow for IoT” white paper released today also gives an overview of the features, expected use cases, and markets for Wi-Fi HaLow.
These commercial deployments will demonstrate how Wi-Fi HaLow extends the benefits of Wi-Fi into more Internet of Things (IoT) applications where unique technical challenges must be overcome to realize the business benefits. Wi-Fi HaLow delivers extended ranges, improved material penetration capabilities, extended battery life, enhanced device density, minimized end-to-end delay, a higher level of security, ease of installation and management, and elevated data throughput in IoT scenarios.
The Wi-Fi HaLow trial scenarios
In the coming months, the project team will test the use cases and applications to demonstrate the benefits and performance Wi-Fi HaLow has in the real world, including understanding crucial metrics such as coverage areas, data rates, throughput, and signal reliability. A detailed analysis from the trials will inform new deployment guides, helping the wider industry successfully roll-out IoT solutions, without having to resort to proprietary or non-IP technologies to gain the automation, insights and business benefits that IoT promises to deliver.
- Smart Home – Evaluate Wi-Fi HaLow against traditional Wi-Fi in security cameras, HVAC, appliances, detached garage connections, solar power systems, power backup generators, and EV chargers.
- Smart City – Focus on infrastructure monitoring, smart utilities, and traffic management to highlight wider coverage benefits, high data throughput, increased device density, and low-cost maintenance.
- Smart Building Automation – Conduct testing to support smart building applications such as physical security, surveillance, access control, safety alarms, and water sensors.
- Smart Retail – Showcase how Wi-Fi HaLow enhances consumer satisfaction and increases productivity for retailers and partners. The assessment will cover scanners, readers, point-of-sale equipment, asset tracking, security monitoring, warehouse robots, and handlers.
- Industrial IoT – A focus on testing industrial applications including asset tracking, infrastructure monitoring, remote equipment control, safety automation, and security monitoring.
- Agriculture Technology – Trials in smart agriculture or precision farming systems, including environmental monitoring, soil monitoring, plant health monitoring, actuator control, and data collection for predictive breeding.
Wi-Fi HaLow includes a host of key features such as operation in the sub-1 GHz radio band, the use of narrow channel bandwidths, an increased number of supported devices and new operating modes to accommodate battery-operated devices. It also, builds upon the foundations of Wi-Fi, retaining such features as the most up-to-date high levels of security and native-IP support inherent in all internet connectivity.